Originally written for sparks & honey; reblogged from their Tumblr. Learn more about us at sparksandhoney.com.
Unless you’ve been living in a dungeon…you’re well aware of “Fifty Shades of Grey,” a romance trilogy dubbed as mommy porn that has shackled female America. Toted through airports, subways and bus stations, discussed at morning chat shows, around the office water cooler and at cocktail parties, “Fifty Shades of Grey” has tickled the fancies of women around the world. The naughty novel has set the record as the fastest-selling paperback of all time surpassing the Harry Potter series. It has stimulated the economy, deeply penetrating the mainstream culture, and leading to a burst of business ventures, everything from lingerie to makeup.
Here are five of our favorite Fifty Shades of Grey-inspired products that can give us all some sexual healing:
- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Movie – Social networks have been buzzing with speculation around who will be cast in the main roles of Christian and Ana. The movie will be produced by the same producers, Mike De Luca and Dana Brunetti, who’ve produced award-winning The Social Network film.
- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Audio Book - It was uncomfortable enough hearing Ellen DeGeneres read from the racy novel on one of her recent shows. Imagine listening to the audiobook while sitting in a tight airplane seat without much room to exert your excitement. Fifty Shades of Grey joins the mile high club and will be offered on Virgin Atlantic flights as part of the airline’s JAM in-flight entertainment.
- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ YouTube Musical – Whether you are a housewife, a feminist who thinks ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ has spanked feminism in the butt, or a guy who hates that he loves the book, you will enjoy this fan-created musical that addresses the three reader archetypes and is quickly climbing the YouTube charts.
- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Sex Workshop – A NYC-based sex toy boutique recently offered a ‘Fifty Shades of Hot Sex’ workshop that teaches women how to turn their fantasies into reality. And to award early arrival, Babeland, the women-friendly sex shop that organized the workshop, offered to their attendees some spank-me gifts.
- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Weekend Getaway - Readers can unleash their inner goddess in the Seattle and Portland landmarks served as backdrops in the book. Portland’s Heathman Hotel, where Christian and Ana exchanged plenty of steamy moments, is offering two add-on packages including a fine bottle of chilled white wine (Christian’s favorite) and an extravagant helicopter ride over Portland. Don’t forget to have your billionaire boy toy pick up the tab.
Thanks to all the novel-inspired online and offline creations, E.L. James is earning around $1 million per week in royalties. She also has licenses for lingerie/sleepwear, makeup line, fragrances, apparel, jewelry, furniture, bedding, and of course, sex toys!
So how can your brand capitalize on the ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ craze similarly to Virgin Atlantic’s integration of the audio book version of the erotic novel?